Fibromyalgia Treatment in Houston
If you are in this section of the website, then chances are that you or a loved one has fibromyalgia. It may have been diagnosed under several different names like Myofacial Pain Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Environmental Illness, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It’s likely that you have been seeing a number of other clinicians and you are here looking here for hope and new options.
First I should say…fibromyalgia treatment is possible, but it will take time to heal. Months or a years. It all depends on you.
Call us for our fibromyalgia workshop to reserve your seat.
About Fibromyalgia and Its Causes
“Fibromyalgia (FM) is a mysteriously debilitating rheumatic syndrome which bears a striking resemblance to chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).” (Arthritis Rheum 1990; 33:381-387)
Fibromyalgia remains somewhat of a medical mystery. Here are some factors that seem to contribute.
- History of Irritable Bowel Syndrome – More than 60% of those who have Fibromyalgia have experienced Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Genetics are a factor – 25% of those whose mother suffered from fibromyalgia may develop FM.
- Chronic Sleep disturbances – Disturbed sleep may trigger the immune system to cause inflammation and pain.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – Sexual and physical abuse, especially in females, anxiety, hopelessness, irritability, mood swings, inability to concentrate, and many more conditions may trigger Fibromyalgia.
- Muscle Cell Abnormalities – Studies reported that fibromyalgia patients had lower levels of the muscle-cell enzyme phosphocreatine and adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This enzymes effects calcium levels inside muscle tissues so muscle cells stay contracted.
- Injuries – About 20% of those with neck pain injuries later developed Fibromyalgia.
- Prescription Medication – Prescription Medication may have a role in Fibromyalgia. Side effects of many medication such as birth control pills, conventional hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and reflux medications include Fatigue.
- Environmental Sensitivities – Certain odors, chemicals, cleaning products, petroleum products, cosmetics, pesticides, light, noise, and food allergies – especially sugar, refined carbs and dairy – are associated with Fibromyalgia.
- Digestive Imbalances
- Headaches, migraines
- Cognitive dysfunction, especially memory
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Environmental sensitivities, odors, chemicals, cleaning products, petroleum products, cosmetics, pesticides, light, noise, food allergies, especially sugar and refined carbs and dairy
- Mood disorders, especially depression
- Vaccines, and Infection
We say this because of the lack of good diagnostic tests. Tenderness or pain in at least 11 of 18 anatomical point in this chart could lead to a primary Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.
Natural Approach to Fibromyalgia Care
Dr. Reza Naghavi DC take a natural approach to fibromyalgia treatment.Dr. Naghavi will ask you to complete a comprehensive questionnaire that covers all areas of your diet, sleep, hormones, digestion, and cardiovascular health. Dr. Naghavi evaluate your need for saliva hormone tests, stool or blood tests, and hair analysis if needed.
A Neutraceutical approach including Coenzyme Q10, L-Carnitine, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, and Vitamin B3 may give you temporary relief. This approach is like short term medication, but with all naturally occurring nutrients.
Digestive health is the most important key in our approach to treating fibromyalgia. We ensure that you have a diet that is rich in whole food nutrients and phytochemicals that give food to the starving cells.
We also encourage ours patient’s mental health while working to recover from fibromyalgia with book and movie recommendations, and therapy if needed.
Fibromyalgia Care Success Story
I started seeing Dr. Naghavi in August of 2010. At the time I was suffering from muscle pain all over my body that progressively got worse. I also had reflux, hypothyroid and high cholesterol. I was taking increasingly more medications. I became more and more concerned that something was terribly wrong with me. I was paranoid and stressed out. I had seen several specialists for my muscle pain only to get the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. All my other problems were address with medications but I wanted something better. I wanted a way to manage it with out being drugged to death. I was disappointed with how much western medicine does not know about the human body. I am a practitioner myself and have access to lots of research and treatment information but could find no solutions after hours of reading and doctor visits. I was skeptical over the years about holistic approaches and with chiropractic medicine. But after all of my experiences I became more open minded. I think the biggest problem is we don’t listen to our bodies and our doctors rely too much on the known science without really listening to their patients. Or even admitting that there are things we just do not know currently without dismissing a patient’s complaint. Since seeing Dr. Naghavi I am much more healthy and active than before. I do still have muscle pain but it is significantly better and I continue to work towards alleviating it altogether. I was able to get off all of my medications relieving myself of their side effects. My cholesterol now is better then it was when I was 25 years old-at 200. It is now 154. I am eating healthier and have lost 20 pounds. I have made it my lifestyle as we all should when it comes to our health. We also addressed the mental part and how it relates to health. I had issues with anger and stress. The awareness alone made a big difference. I continue to work on those issues as well and have noticed when I am able to manage them I have greater energy and less pain. Overall I am very pleased with my progress working with Dr. Naghavi and have no hesitation recommending him.